Are you using Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine, our current Stable release? Or are you already running our development builds of the upcoming 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa?
The 5.18 beta is also available in the main Ubuntu archive for the 20.04 development release, and can be found on our daily ISO images.
This is a Beta Plasma release, so testers should be aware that bugs and issues may exist.
If you are prepared to test, then…..
For 19.10 add the PPA and then upgrade
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta && sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
Then reboot. If you cannot reboot from the application launcher,
from the terminal.
In case of issues, testers should be prepare to use ppa-purge to remove the PPA and revert/downgrade packages.
Kubuntu is part of the KDE community, so this testing will benefit both Kubuntu as well as upstream KDE Plasma software, which is used by many other distributions too.
- If you believe you might have found a packaging bug, you can use a launchpad.net to post testing feedback to the Kubuntu team as a bug, or give feedback on IRC , Telegram  or mailing lists .
- If you believe you have found a bug in the underlying software, then bugs.kde.org is the best place to file your bug report.
* General tests:
– Does plasma desktop start as normal with no apparent regressions over 5.16 or 5.17?
– General workflow – testers should carry out their normal tasks, using the plasma features they normally do, and test common subsystems such as audio, settings changes, compositing, desktop affects, suspend etc.
* Specific tests:
– Check the changelog:
– Identify items with front/user facing changes capable of specific testing. e.g. “clock combobox instead of tri-state checkbox for 12/24 hour display.”
– Test the ‘fixed’ functionality or ‘new’ feature.
Testing involves some technical set up to do, so while you do not need to be a highly advanced K/Ubuntu user, some proficiently in apt-based package management is advisable.
Testing is very important to the quality of the software Ubuntu and Kubuntu developers package and release.
We need your help to get this important beta release in shape for Kubuntu and the KDE community as a whole.
 – irc://irc.freenode.net/kubuntu-devel
 – https://t.me/kubuntu_support
 – https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel