Kubuntu 14.10 is available for upgrade or install. It comes in two flavours, the stable Plasma 4 running the desktop we know from previous releases, and a tech preview of the next generation Plasma 5 for early adopters.
Download a Plasma 4 Disk Image (Stable)
Download a Bootable image and put it onto a DVD
Download a Plasma 5 Disk Image (Tech Preview)
Download a Bootable image and put it onto a DVD or USB Drive
|Upgrading from 14.04LTSTo upgrade to Kubuntu 14.10 from 14.04LTS: “Show new distribution releases” to “Normal releases”, update 14.04LTS then follow the notification.|
Choose Stable Plasma 4 or Tech Preview of Plasma 5
|Plasma 4 is our recommended stable offering and what you get
from the default download, but is now in maintenance mode.
It runs the software you are familiar with and will be getting updates and bugfixes but not new
features from now on.
|Plasma 5. The next generation of KDE Software is still a work in progress. You can test it and install
it from the Kubuntu Plasma 5 image but beware it will remove your stable software. We love testers but no support is offered. If there are problems you may need to reinstall to revert back to Plasma 4.
KDE Applications and Platform 4.14
|The KDE Applications and Platform 4.14 includes a bunch of
This is the first release of Kubuntu with the next generation of desktop from KDE, Plasma 5. It has plenty of known bugs and missing features, see
below, but also plenty of lovely new features. The Plasma 5.0 release announcement has more information.
Kubuntu Known Problems
Bugs tagged Kubuntu 14.10 bugs list
- (#940924) Keyboard Layout “German (qwerty)” missing since 12.04
- (#1312104) Marble Menu Squashed/Unreadable
- (#1315670) driver manager does not handle qapt transaction prompts
- (#1316563) Kubuntu driver manager shows nothing, even after refreshing driver list
- (#1350855) Manual Partitioner Does not Translate when Selecting a new Language
- (#1372920) kipi-plugins should depend on libkqoauth
Kubuntu Plasma 5 Known Problems
- (#1375786) .desktop files can not start apps with kdesu
- (#1362599) ubiquity-dm does not transition to sddm to plasma5 desktop
- (#1362753) khelpcenter docs misses any themeing
- (#1362754) plasma5 phonon kcm misses icons
- (#1362759) libreoffice not themed
- (#1378746) kde4 apps can not launch khelpcenter
- (#1382096) on upgrade old plasma xsession file still default
- (#1383623) sddm removal fails
- (#1384415) Kubuntu 14.10 with Plasma 5 installed uses wrong About data
- (KDE #340254) Crash in KWin on first login
- (#1384693) No Plymouth on shutdown
- (#1384687) oem-config-prepare is not on desktop in plasma5 install
- (#1384688) oem-config does not run
- (#1384689) session locks during live session
- (#1384690) kubuntu-plasma5 hangs on reboot after install
- (#1384692) ksplash disappears before plasma shown in kubuntu-plasma5
Development of Kubuntu 14.10, the Utopic Unicorn, is ongoing and bugs are fixed every day. Before reporting bugs, please ensure your system is up to date. For verifying installation related bugs, updated disk images are available from Daily bootable images for standard PCs/laptops/netbooks.
You can give us feedback on Google+ or Facebook or Twitter or Linkedin